Wednesday 16 November 2011

03/11/11 Creswell To Clowne

This next part of the trail is without doubt my favourite, simply because it holds so many memories, from using it to get to a park I used to visit constantly, to nearly falling off my bike from whilst riding above the track bed and finally to going through Markland Grips to get to college at Clowne so I was looking forward to seeing it again.
Starting from Creswell Station, going on towards Clowne isn’t possible anymore.  A detour West Street is needed, although a new entranceway has been cut onto the track bed for people from the new housing estate.  The track bed has once again been filled in and is once again listed as part of the Sustrans trail although it is not kept as well as the path to Frithwood.  Once over Hazelmere Lane there are glimpses of how deep the cuttings used to be with a short area not filled in for some reason (Picture 5)

before coming to where the viaduct once stood.  Of course it’s no longer there and I have to admit I have no memory of it at all but there are some stones marking where it once was and some stones which if someone can confirm would have been part of it. (Pictures 6 and 7)


After this the track bed continues on towards Clowne through countryside and crossed by farm tracks, quite easy walking and once again a sleeper or two still about, and gets even easier when it reaches the Linear Park across Hollis Lane (Picture 8 and 9)



This is maintained by Bolsover Council I think and where the Station once stood, and where a Car Park (which I also used whilst at college) once was there is now skate park, not in use whilst I was there.  There are still some outlines of the station buildings but nothing like what remains of the other line that met the LD&ECR here. (Picture 10 and 11)


This is as far I went today, the next walk should be from Killamarsh back to Clowne and hopefully ending up at the same skate park J

No comments:

Post a Comment