Tuesday 17 January 2012

16/01/12 Killamarsh To Clowne Part 2 (Barlborough Trading Estate)

If you read my previous post marking the attempt to walk from Killamarsh to Clowne you will know I failed quite miserably, ending the walk at Barlborough just before the motorway.  Today I will attempt to get a little bit closer to Clowne but with time constraints I am expecting to get only as far as the golf course where the LDECR crossed the M.R. Clowne Branch.
I started off looking back at the motorway and as the fence had signs up saying that wild guard dogs roamed loose, I decided against walking back up to it.

The view the other way towards Clowne wasn’t much better so I hiked round the industrial estate and got these views, the first back to where I should have walked from the motorway and the second where the trackbed continued.

So far on this part of the walk I hadn’t really been close to the trackbed, but that soon changed once I had gotten past the Tesco distribution centre.  This is the view back to the motorway from just before the golf course, and the views of the path I climbed up and what I could have climbed up if I had avoided the trackbed and walked on the sanitised council path.




The trackbed would have continued here over part of the golf course, which I quickly walked over and reached the finish for today at the crossing of the old M.R. line.  I couldn’t have gone further as the way was blocked by 2 six foot fences topped with barbed wire.



Overall this was a disappointing part of the walk, although from google map pictures I knew what to expect.   And because I was stopped short of Clowne part three of this particular section is still to come.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting article-thanks for posting it up.
    Shall watch your progress with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment, this is the first one I have :)

    I have finished the Beighton Branch line now and am preparing for the mainline walk between Lincoln and Chesterfield.

    If you have any questions about it then please email me at davidwgrobinson@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete